Thursday 10 January 2013

Remembering Australia's Forgotten Mothers Revisted

An essay from my research into Australian colonial family histories and "stolen generations" is now published in the latest issue of the Journal of the Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement, produced by the MIRCI research Institute at York University in Toronto which is the leading research institute in the world in this field.
"The mandate of the Journal is to publish the most current, high quality scholarship on mothering-motherhood and to ensure that this scholarship considers motherhood in an international context and from a multitude of perspectives including differences of class, race, sexuality, age, ethnicity, ability and nationality."

The inspiration for this article is documented on this blog in the eponymous post "Remembering Australia's Forgotten Mothers", (The Skilbeck Scrolls 29/6/2011) and this blog post is included as a part of the article.
 I was employed, throughout 2012, on a one-year contract as a Lecturer at the Journalism and Media research Centre (JMRC) at the University of New South Wales, and the JMRC fully funded my conference trip to Canada to present my research at the MIRCI conference Mothers in HIstory, Histories of Motherhood, in Toronto.
I have found out much more since then, in my "secret research" into "hidden histories" in Australia.
Ground breaking is hard work and little rewarded historically by the administration in this country- as the ghosts of convicts and Indigenous peoples will testify. So I am just glad that I managed to ferry this dream-vison of a creative non-fiction writing piece into international publication.
And as the author I raise my glass to launch its passage into the world. Cheers.

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/jarm/issue/current

No comments: