Wednesday 23 July 2014

In Praise of Reversing One's Hours


'Early to rise’ and ‘up with the lark’, which may once have seemed impossible indicators of moral virtue, is so easy to achieve when one simply does not sleep at night and chooses instead to slumber in daylight hours and write through the night. At around 6.30 a.m. one greets the dawn like an old familiar friend, not an overwhelming foe, as if one is in control of one’s destiny, instead of always scrambling behind, late and only half awake, like the woman applying her make-up on the train, or the man I once saw walking across the main road at Spit Junction in Mosman, at 8.30 a.m. shaving with a pocket shaver. The best thing about it though is that not many people do it, so it retains that exclusive secret edge of slightly illicit and novel things, the hidden beach, the secluded garden, a surprise, separate to the rest of the world. So that when I go to bed at 10 a.m. or 12 a.m., I fall asleep secure in the knowledge that the world will go on without me very well, and when I awake at 7 p.m. or so, I have the whole night ahead of me to write and I will not get tired or need to sleep.


Ruth Skilbeck 

No comments: