Saturday 23 February 2013

The secret Is revealed

So after decades the secret is finally revealed. My family on my mother's side is descended from Irish rebels.
What is so shocking about that, really?
Why should that have to be silenced, and hidden for generations?
If it was not for my concerted research this would never have been revealed.
Our long lost ancestors would have remained forever unknown.
In this we - my siblings and myself- are in the same situation as countless thousands who were impacted by the "stolen generations" policies in Australia during the twentieth century.
They were Aboriginal, or they were other.
My ancestors fought against the British, who were colonising their country.
For this  they were exiled for life.
And were repressed in the family story.

I have found out a lot about my ancestors. By "chance" I am now living in the area in NSW, the Hunter, where they were based. They had a famous horse stud in the Hunter Valley, for over one hundred years, and I keep thinking about them as the name Doyle's Creek is in the newspapers every day at the moment over a mining bid that has collapsed due to corruption; a mine was proposed at "Doyle's Creek" in the Bylong Valley - named after my ancestors who ended up owning thousands of acres in New South Wales.

I seem to be in the position of chronicler of the family history, that was suppressed for so long. So will continue this saga in due course.

Ruth Skilbeck

No comments: