Thursday 7 July 2011

Death in Newcastle

It’s on days like this that I feel, dangerously, ominously, like von Aschenbach in Thomas Mann’s Death in Venice. 
Feels like the triumph of the petty functionaries of the state institutions over the beauty and exquisite sensation of the human spirit.
Where is the sensitivity. 
I wait at the station; I stare wordlessly at the hard blue sky that is filled in my vision with  
images of official buildings, a clock tower, the council buildings. 
I am sure the train will be on time.
But I cannot wait for it, impelled by a sudden inner force to move, away from the station with its on-time train and lines of dismal passengers slumped on seats, away down the street,
to there and back again.

3 comments:

Sharanu said...

"truimph of petty functionaries of the state institutions over the beauty and sensation of human spirit"... reminds Dastovesky....

Anonymous said...

"......impelled by asudden inner force to move...way down the street,to there back and again...."

reminds Dostovesky.... this must be a cloudy day with..intermittent rains with... its strange air filled with restless anxiety....

Ruth Skilbeck said...

Sharanu, you've understood the sentiment beautifully, but the comparison with Dostoevsky is too kind! I have read you blog and like your stories too. All the best, Ruth