Sunday 5 June 2011

Strange Dreams of Flight


Somewhere above the middle east my eyes close and I fall into strange dreams of flight. We are all flying, my sister, best friend and my mother stretched out flat as boards in long white gowns and flowing hair like Victorian young ladies in a levitation trance. Flying through the sky on strange circular journeys the meaning of which is obscure. My mother who in my waking life I know passed away two and a half years ago is with us as so often in my dreams. Then I open my eyes into another plane. The pilot is playing a strange game, on the inflight movie screen is a vision of a crash landing into the ocean! It’s a simulated computer game. Do they have to show this, I ask as the aircraft tilts wildly to one side, or is it just the affect of a special effect? It’s impossible to tell which is real and which the game as the plane hurtles towards a red cliff that opens into a velvety tunnel and we reverse neatly back out again into the radiant air and sunlight.

No comments: